U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce staff has published a "Climate Change Legislation Design White Paper" in February 2008.
The baseline for the paper is that any US commitment to a climate change program would require incentives for developing nations specifically China and India to curb their emissions. The rational behind this twofold:
1. There is only impact of such a program if the developing countries do their part
2. Creating a level playing field for the US economy
The white paper discusses policy options in the following three categories:
1. Border adjustments such as tariffs
2. Performance standards such as emissions standards or carbon intensity based regulations
3. Carbon Market Design imposing conditions on other countries' access to a US carbon market